Skillet Chicken with Roasted Carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 5 small red potatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced and seeds removed
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3/4 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 5 minutes or until golden brown. Turn and cook 2 minutes. Remove chicken from pan. Place carrots and potatoes, cut side down, in pan; sprinkle with thyme. Place pan in oven; bake at 425°F for 10 minutes. Return chicken to pan; top with lemon slices. Bake at 425°F for 12 minutes. Remove pan from oven. Place chicken and vegetables on a plate.
Combine 1/2 cup milk, flour and lemon zest in a bowl. Return pan to medium-high heat (do not wipe out pan). Add flour mixture, remaining 1 cup milk and stock to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; cook 3 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken and vegetables to pan. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 377; Total Fat: 9g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 111mg; Sodium: 401mg; Carbohydrate: 30g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 7g; Protein: 46g